Saturday, March 17, 2007

Ironic Lawsuit (if it weren’t real it would be funny)

From Reuters:

Comedian Carol Burnett is suing over what? A Parody?

'Family Guy,' like the 'Carol Burnett Show,' is famous for its pop culture parodies and satirical jabs at celebrities," the studio said in a statement. "We are surprised that Ms. Burnett, who has made a career of spoofing others on television, would go so far as to sue 'Family Guy' for a simple bit of comedy."

I couldn’t have said it better myself, so I won’t try to. I’m certainly in support of intellectual property rights and I actually pay for my music. This is different though. No one watching the cartoon Family Guy is going to suddenly be confused and believe he or she is now watching Carol Burnett. Burnett is not using this lawsuit to protect her intellectual property; she is using it as a weapon. Another irony is that teenagers who may have never even heard of Carol Burnett might have been exposed to her name for the first time through Family Guy. She could have reached a whole new audience.

No comments: